Why Ibiza is One of My Favourite Places


Enjoying the view in Portinatx

As a child I wasn’t as lucky as my classmates who were going to Disneyland or Tenerife every summer.  My dad worked full time at a garage and my mum did part time cleaning jobs while raising the three of us so expensive holidays abroad weren’t really an option (not to mention my mum’s fear of flying!).

I’m the baby of the family, the (surprise!) result of my mum’s second marriage so my two brothers pretty much had a life of their own by the time I started school.  I didn’t completely go without holidays though, we had a few caravan holidays around Scotland growing up which I loved, although it was always just the three of us. 

A little me with my big brothers around 1993

So what changed it all?  One freezing cold, windy, rainy October week at Craig Tara (a holiday park) in Ayr!  It was just myself and mum that week and we stayed in a chalet, however there was a gap underneath the door which meant that the wind just came right into the room and it was FREEZING!  Mum ended up having to tape it up but it didn't make much of a difference. I think it was at that moment that my mum decided that we would never go on holiday in Britain again and promptly visited the travel agents and booked a holiday to Ibiza for the following year!

The first time we went (yes we went more than once!) we stayed in Playa D’en Bossa at the Hotel Don Toni, and we had such a fantastic time we went back there the following year and thus started our love affair with Ibiza!  Over the following years we visited various different areas of the island; Portinatx, San Miguel, Santa Eulalia – and loved every single place.

Santa Eulalia Centre

Santa Eulalia Beach
The view from the Hotel Presidente in Portinatx

Ibiza has a reputation for being a “party island” and I find it a shame because it’s so much more.  From the famous sunsets in San Antonio Bay to exploring the historic Old Town, there really is something for everybody and I’m dying to show it all to Shaun, who has never been (why would he go somewhere that doesn’t have a theme park?? 😕)

As you’ll probably have figured out by now if you follow my blog and/or Instagrams, I love my animals and nothing makes me happier in Ibiza than chasing the cute little wall lizards around trying to get photos of them! 

Just chillin'

His lunch flew away. Probably in circles seeing as he now only has one wing

This one was a total poser!

Other things to do on the island include snorkelling, scuba diving, boat trips, tours around the Old Town, castles, hippie markets, bus tours and countless beautiful beaches.  On our first trip to the island we decided to do an excursion over to the neighbouring island of Formentera which is absolutely beautiful.  There’s plenty to do at night time as well with Ibiza’s many restaurants, bars and clubs (ok you knew that bit!).

The BEST fresh orange juice I have ever tasted!


A lovely little bar in Portinatx
Once I got a bit older and moved out, mum and I continued to visit Ibiza almost yearly for our “girlie holidays”, my most memorable being when she had a little too much vodka and I ended up having to hold on to her walking down the corridor to the room because if I didn’t then she would bounce from wall to wall! 🙈 And this was before dinner (which I had to go to alone because by the time I was ready she was fast asleep on the bed!)

The bay where South Pacific was filmed!
I suppose the reason that Ibiza is one of my favourite islands is simply because it was the first place I went abroad with my parents and the whole experience was new for all of us.  It really surprises me the amount of people who don’t actually realise that there’s more to Ibiza than just pubs and clubs, hopefully this post prompts at least some people to do a bit of research and go and see for themselves!

Have you been to Ibiza? Where did you go? Let me know below in the comments! 😊

2 comments:

  1. Loved this! I've always wanted to visit Ibiza once I learned there is so much more to it than just being a "party" Island!

    ReplyDelete